About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Kabobs

I have been on a new diet since the beginning of the month because when I started working out in March I thought I could still eat sweets and see results- not so much. Since I started this diet I have lost 7 pounds and since I started working out in March I have officially lost 14 pounds. I am slowly getting towards my goal- feels very slow but I keep trying!

My diet is supposed to be a 24 day "cleanse" kinda diet but I have really grown to just get used to it. To give it the most basic description I don't eat most carbs, dairy, or red meat. I have two snacks a day- pretty much always fruit and unsalted almonds. Other than snacks I have a meal replacement shake for breakfast, deli turkey meat and an avocado for lunch, and usually a protein and veggies for dinner. I am a creature of habit but that is how I stick to a plan. I have to make it consistent to teach myself new habits. I have actually stuck with the plan and the end date is May 30.

Now, my goal is to stick with the diet long term but allow myself to live a little and cheat sometimes. For instance, on Mother's Day and our anniversary I couldn't even have cake. When we go out to eat my only option is usually a salad- and I want some freaking steak sometimes!

Anyway, the point of this post is to give you guys my favorite recipe I have discovered so far- Chicken Kabobs! I am pretty sure that I could eat kabobs everyday of my life. Amazing!

Chicken Kabobs



Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 minced garlic cloves
2 t. honey
1 1/2 t. thyme
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. pepper
1 t. salt
1 lb. chicken breasts
Veggies of your choice: I use onion, zucchini, squash, and orange pepper

  1. In a small bowl combine first 8 ingredients. Reserve half of the marinade for basting. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and place in a baking dish. Pour half of the marinade over the chicken pieces. Cover and place in fridge for 4 hours.
  2. Drain and discard marinade. Place veggies and chicken on your skewers (if you use wooden skewers make sure you soak them so they don't catch fire!).
  3. Place skewers on grill over medium heat. Grill, turning, and basting with reserved marinade for about 12 minutes, or until juices run clear.
P.S.- if you have a hubby or other person who can't live without carbs- then serve kabobs over rice!

Good Luck! It's always good to have a healthy meal that actually tastes good!

No comments:

Post a Comment